So, one of the neighbor kids is a Girl Scout, and, as most of you probably know by now, it's that time of year again. Girl Scout cookies. (sigh) These are truly evil. Why? Because you can't eat just one. No. You can vow that you'll eat just one, but you know it won't happen. No sooner do you open that bag than the entire thing is gone. (sigh) And that is what happened just a few minutes ago. It did. I did. I ate half a box of Do-si-dos in under 5 minutes. In the immortal words of Daffy Duck, "Mine! Mine! All mine!" Or if you are more of a Lord of the Rings fan, "My precioussss!"
It's unfair that they make them this good. Truly. But they aren't the only food like this. No, there are other foods that take over, possess my brain, and make my hand move from bag/tray/plate to mouth, and there is nothing I can do to stop it from happening, short of chopping off my arms, tying myself up (that could be interesting with the right person--oh, that's a different blog post entirely), or sewing my mouth shut. Not all of them are evil. Some of them are good for you, but most of them aren't. These are my top ten "can't stop at one" foods:
- Roasted peanuts in a shell. There is something about shelling the peanuts and eating them that is very addictive.
- Potato chips, but only if it's with sour cream and onion dip.
- Squirt cheese on Ritz crackers or Triskets (sounds disgusting, but God it's good!)
- Girl Scout Do-si-dos
- Home made cookies/brownies--just about any kind that isn't out of a box, but particularly oatmeal raisin with walnuts. This is why I rarely bake.
- Ripe, juicy watermelon on a hot day.
- A good rib-eye steak cooked to medium rare--if someone gave me only one bite of this and there was more, they may not survive long. (g)
- Bruschetta from Novecento. This is a local Italian restaurant that makes the best bruschetta. It has fresh basil, raw garlic, tomatoes, and Mont Chevre goat cheese on buttered, grilled bread. It's decadent. Truly, one slice is not enough.
- A ripe peach where the juice dribbles down your chin when you bite into it.
- Chocolate. Can there ever be too much chocolate?
So, what's on your "can't eat just one" list? Do you share any of mine?