Friday 7 October 2011

Zip It...Zip It Good!

Some days, I wish I could zip another person's mouth, or, at the very least, remind them of the old adage If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all? Well, most people don't live by that, even if they should. I know I don't at times. I know I rant here and say some unkind things about people in general, although rarely one person in particular. So, I do try to be nice (it's a struggle some days), or if I am going to say something not so nice, I'll save it for the bedroom with Charlie where I know it won't go anywhere. Even still, things will slip out at times, but I am getting better at biting my tongue.

However, I am ever amazed at how people seemed to think I care about their opinion, especially when it disagrees with mine. (g) I mean, really, do they honestly think that they can change my mind by insulting me?

For instance, I know a few people whose political viewpoints are diametrically opposed to mine in many ways, yet they insist on talking to me about them. Why? Even if I try to meet them in the middle (and I don't always, because, well, they are wrong after all (grin)), they won't budge. It's their way or the highway.

Eh. That's fine. I feel the same. I'll just listen to them blather on while I search for my escape route. (grin)

People have opinions on everything. Frequently, those opinions diverge from mine. So, um, I spend a lot of time silent. (grin) Something you learned about me today: if I'm not trying to add anything to a conversation, it probably means I don't agree with you. (grin) Aren't you lucky I've held my tongue?

And doesn't it drive you nuts when someone argues with you? It's like running into a brick wall. I've had people spend more than an hour trying to convince me I am wrong, that I must agree with them, that I can't possibly mean what I said.

O.o

No matter how much I try to end the conversation politely, they won't stop. It's like diarrhea of the mouth. If they want to do that, do it somewhere else. I'm so not into it. And arguing with me will only make me more set in my ways, because I'm ornery that way. (grin) I don't like to be told what to do. (grin)

This did happen recently. It pissed me off, but I bit my tongue and bore it. Should it happen again, I'm not sure how polite I will be as I've been there already. Although I had lots of unkind thoughts running through my head, mixed with a good dollop of sarcasm. (grin)

Just because they disagree with me does not make them right. Maybe for them, but not for me.

But it reminded me that I can be just as obnoxious if I'm not careful. I'll certainly be more careful in the future...or not, if you've already irritated me, I may not listen to the angel on my shoulder. (grin)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you!! People need to stop arguing with me because I will not change my mind no matter how unenlightened they think I'm being. Calling me a dumb bitch will guaran-damn-tee that, too. These are the kind of people that make me wish I had a universal remote with a mute button just for obnoxious twits. ;)

Faith Bicknell said...

I'll tell you what I hate, it's those people who voice their opinions on things they either A) don't know enough about to voice an opinion, or B) they simply say things in a nice, condescending way in order to either hurt your feelings or piss you off, then when you confront them about it they give you this sweet, innocent look and a tone of voice that drips with honey and say, "Oh, now, now, I didn't mean it that way at all."

Yeah, right. I can see through bullshit no matter how thick the person slathers it on.

Brooklyn Ann said...

Yes, this! Also I hate it when people talk trash about my music on my turf. Do they really think I'm going to turn around and go, "Yes, my favorite band does suck. Thanks for telling me." I don't do it at their house, no matter how nauseating I find it.

Marci Baun said...

Arguing never solves anything in these instances, but people sure try, Melissa.

Oh, Faith, if I had a penny for every time some has done this, I'd be a very wealthy woman. Yes, if people know nothing, they should keep their mouths shut!

Brooklyn Ann,

I hope I wasn't one of the people who talked trash about the music you like. LOL I am rather opinionated about music, but I do Truro not say anything...unless it's rap. LOL However, if you like rap, I'll refrain from being obnoxious on your wall. (g)

Marci

Marci Baun said...

That should have been "try" not "Truro." That was an autocorrect text. O.O

Marci

Unknown said...

I say listen to the red m&m. I do. But I'm ornery too.

Cassie Exline said...

Yes, yes, YES! Oh I hate that, especially arguing over politics. I've actually walked out of a room when the person got heated about his opinion. It's either that or tell him where to shove his opinions. lol

Brooklyn Ann said...

@Marci, no, not rap. :)