Friday 21 October 2011

Duh Syndrome Is My Friend

Not duh as in lacking intelligence or doing drugs. Oh, no. It’s the duh that happens when I’ve stared at a computer screen for a minimum of six hours a day, usually longer. The duh that occurs when I sit with my laptop too long and finish just one more blog, interview, edit, revision, or new chapter and never make it outside to stretch my legs.

There are many definite signs when Duh Syndrome is really bad, but here are a few off the top of my head.

*The hubby or one of the kids tells me something with me
looking him or her directly in the eyes, and I realize five minutes after they've left I have no freaking clue what he or she just said to me.

*I get up to go to the bathroom and forget where I’m going halfway to Wherever Land.

*My mother or oldest dau calls me on the cell and I zone out. “FAITH! Are you there? Did the call drop?” or “MOM! Did you go to sleep?” Gah.

*The hubby tells me about his workday and I find myself dozing off with my eyes open. And no, I’m not kidding! Eyes are open!

*The cat jumps on my lap and lies on my hands stretched across the keyboard and I keep typing! Buy hey, it’s great exercise. One, lift cat! Two, lift cat! Three, lift cat!

*Duh Syndrome is really bad when I look at the clock and realize it’s 2 PM and I’ve not had anything to eat or drink all day except for several cups of b-b-b-b-b-b-black c-c-c-c-c-coffee.

*Bizarre words unexpectedly pop out of my mouth when I’m talking. Example: “I’m tired. I’m going to go watch pudding before I go to sleep." Or I type something like that in an email to a pal and they reply with “WTF are you talking about?” Yeah, baby. Makes me feel intelligent!

This fuzzy state of mind often happens when I have a new release. Promotion adds to the amount of things I have to accomplish in a specific time period. It boggles my mind how many blogs and interviews I write and/or fill out during these blocks of time. Not to mention researching what sites and newsletters have the best bang for the buck when it comes to advertising--talk about time consuming!

Oh, let’s not forget research. Although many authors hate research and therefore keep their stories based on topics they’re familiar with, I’m a glutton for punishment. Combine that with my insatiable curiosity and I inadvertently create more work for myself. (Actually, I wrote an article this month on easy ways to research for new paranormal creature ideas HERE if you’d like to check it out.)

I get so wrapped up in research that I’m stunned at how much time passes when I finally come to my duh-veiled senses and realize I need a bathroom break, food, and m-m-m-m-more c-c-c-c-coffee. Actually, whenever I would go to night courses and study for exams, I would be drained like this, too.

Historical stuff and paranormal/mythological research is what sucks me in the most. The amount of information on both the web and in print format is phenomenal. I gotta read it all, I gotta know what this is and what that is and…and…

Ahem.

Sorry. Had a li’l melt down. I was wondering why I kept seeing sparks pop out of my ears.

Anyway, when I do get everything done and emailed/mailed, I always realize just how hungry I've become. Seriously, it's like I've worked for three days straight digging ditches with only bread and water to sustain me. In fact, I get so hungry the cat takes one look at me and runs like hell for the nearest exit, hitting mach 10 as his tail bursts into flames. Don’t ever let anyone tell you that mental work doesn’t burn calories because it does! I’m not talking about wanting junk food. Oh, no. Give me a damn prime rib and make it snappy. And if I've been really stressed, I want a glass of wine or maybe something stouter, and a meal that would make a king go, “Whoa, baby. I might not be able to eat it all, but I’m sure as hell gonna try.”

Later, sated and having had a good night’s sleep, I’m ready to tackle the next list of writing projects.

With all that said, I’ll hope you take a look at my newest release. It’s a full novel that sweepsthe reader from Columbus, Ohio to Key West--and it is available today in paperback! However, if you have an e-reader, you can get "RUBY" at most e-book distributors, but the links to several dif ones are posted below. This novel has transformed over the last eight years, so it’s very special to me.

Ruby, the White King and Marilyn Monroe is a paranormal romance that takes off full throttle as demonic motorcycles and their beautiful riders chase Ruby to the rocky shores of Key West for a battle of epic proportions.

Are they angels, demons, or something else entirely? Ruby must send them back to a hell unlike anything the world has ever imagined. But will she allow herself to love the White King who has found her again over one thousand years later?

Blurb:
Reincarnated over the centuries. Stuck with a ditzy Marilyn Monroe lookalike. Falling for a rich albino guy. It’s just Ruby’s luck for Hell’s “real” angels to ride into this life and screw it all up.

A quote from author Maddie James:

Packed with action, each scene moving forward at a clip-clop pace, don’t blink your eyes once or miss a single paragraph of Ruby, the White King, and Marilyn Monroe. For if you do, you are sure to miss a piece of this literary puzzle!

One serendipitous meeting after another takes Ruby, her white king, and her quirky, hitchhiker friend Maureen on a frightening quest to get to Key West. With paranormal elements throughout, the sexual tension high, and the edge-of-the-seat factor not to be ignored, I could not stop reading until I reached the very end.—Maddie James, Romance Author www.maddiejames.net

You can read an excerpt at any of the following buy links:


TMP: http://bit.ly/oOhD3Y
ARe: http://bit.ly/rrlPTU
Kindle: http://amzn.to/rpvrA8
Bookstrand: http://bit.ly/rfTlsX

And here's the current paperback link but the book will appear at Amazon and BandN in a few days (scroll to bottom for print): http://bit.ly/oOhD3Y

16 comments:

trinity said...

When she first sent me the rough draft of this book I feel in love! It is an amazing book! Also Oh I so have those days! More lately though since I have so many projects to work on!

Trinity

Faith Bicknell said...

Thanks, for the book kudos, Trin! Having people to read one's work is priceless.

As for having so many things to work on, it seems like the to-do list just snowballs, doesn't it?

Cassie Exline said...

Black coffee? really? Give me cream and equal with mine. ;) I have those "duh" moments but after reading your activities, I have nothing to complain about. And I love reserach too and it does suck up the time, but what fun. Ruby sounds like a great book.

Hales said...

What a great post an I live in duh land prob a lot but without a pet lol. Glad to know I'm not alone :P Your book looks fantastic! Here's to many many sales

Faith Bicknell said...

Thanks Cassie and Hales! I enjoyed writing "RUBY" and the research involved in it was a lot of fun, too.

Unknown said...

Wow we must be in sink girl cause what you call the Duh syndrome I call the Duh-effect. I know it's really bad when my husband is standing and talking to me and I think I'm listening but it's not until he emails me from right beside of him and says "Hey...you hear me." that I realize I'm seriously out of touch. And yes that really happened...twice.

Grace Elliot said...

I love the image of you doing finger presses with a cat on your hands while you type!
So funny, what a lovely post!
Grace x

Faith Bicknell said...

HAHAHA!!! Bri, that's priceless too!

Faith Bicknell said...

LOL, thank you, Grace! Glad you enjoyed the post.

Marci Baun said...

HAHAHAHAHA Oh, Faith, I do this all of the time with Charlie. He'll say something to him, I'll be looking at him, but he has to repeat it two or three times before I actually listen to me. The thing is if I am in the middle of something, which is almost always when I am on the computer, I don't want to be bothered. It irritates me if someone talks to me. LOL But Charlie likes to talk to me whenever he feels like it, even if he knows I am working. Take last night, I am finishing up the quarterly reports. (I know, it's a first. I'm early. LOL) There was an issue with the program, and I had just received the email from customer support about how to fix it. I want this done, so I can go on with my work/life. (Quarterly reports seem to eat my time.) He starts talking to me. I am off in reports land. Eventually, he asks, "Are you listening?" My response: "Huh?" (grin)

The other day I got up to turn the printer on. So I turned it on, but then couldn't remember why. LOL I've still got to print something, so it's time to turn that printer on again. (g) Maybe it will get done today. (g)

Faith Bicknell said...

One thing I get from the hubby a lot, Marci is: "I told you such and such three times!"

Uh, sorry. If I'm busy with the laptop, I prolly didn't hear you.

Jaime Samms said...

Faith, it's during those 'duh' moments, when I'm on the bus realizing I never once looked at the marquee to know i'm on the right bus, and that maybe I missed my stop, that I realize: either I need more coffee, or less. lol1

Jaime Samms said...

Bri, my hubs has done the same. He'll stand beside my desk talking, and I might even be nodding and everything. The next thing I know, he's texting me from the other room, a chat window opens on my screen, and I see: "Now can you hear me?" lol!

Valerie Mann said...

I think you live at my house. My husband and kids constantly ask me, "do you realize I'm speaking to you?". I've learned the art of appearing to be totally with a conversation when in fact I'm on Mars. And I love research too, although it tends to be a time suck because I get off on even more interesting tangents than what I started out researching!

Janice Seagraves said...

With me it's tea by the gallon. Hot or cold, I don't care just fill up my glass or cup and keep it coming.

Yeah, I've had a lot of those moments when my book was just released. I was exhausted and kept going. And I let myself take a chill and got sick. Which I did again when I was finishing up with editpalooza.

Take care of yourself, Faith. With all your releases you've been having, it's easy to let yourself get rundown.

Faith Bicknell said...

Jaime, have you ever really gotten on the wrong bus, lol.

Finding more interesting things than you were initially looking for is a big part of what's fun about research, Valerie. I print stuff out, make notes...and usually misplace all of them, LOL.

No worries, Janice. I have a hubby who gives me heck if he thinks I'm pushing harder than I can withstand.