Thursday 9 December 2010

Guest Blogger: Lucy Felthouse and A Small Rant


Please welcome guest blogger, Lucy Felthouse. http://www.lucyfelthouse.co.uk

She is the editor for the anthology, Uniform Behaviour, and is here today to show it off as well as to invite you to purchase a copy for a very very good cause. You can find Uniform Behaviour HERE and at various other retail outlets all listed on Lucy's website. So stop by and visit her writing home.

Before we get to Uniform Behaviour, Lucy wants to share a bit about something that really ticks her off. She's a Brit, just like our sweet sweet Sarah, and this topic is something we can identify with in the States too. Not a day goes by that I don't have a sentence or two to say about it myself.

Take it away, Lucy!

************************************************************************************************

People in the UK don’t usually need an excuse to complain about tax. Let’s face it, we’re ripped off for tax and politicians seem to piss it up the wall. The money disappears from our accounts and yet they’re telling us we’re still in zillions of pounds of debt. And then to add insult to injury – the country grinds to a standstill because of the weather!

I pay my council tax willingly. OK, not willingly, mainly because I don’t want to get thrown in jail. But anyway, it gets paid and yet, the first sign of inclement weather (which they’ve been warning us about for weeks!) and we’re very quickly in trouble. Now, I don’t expect every single road to be gritted because the salt would run out even more quickly. But I do expect that the main roads are gritted. If they’re not, how on earth are we supposed to get to work?

My workplace is twenty miles away from where I live. The majority of my route is through countryside, but they’re fairly busy roads. I expect that they’re gritted, so I can get to work and back in one piece. It’s all well and good telling me to drive slowly, carefully and don’t make any sudden manoeuvres, but what happens if someone ploughs into me? Not my fault and yet I’ll invariably end up out of pocket and possibly even injured.

Really, is it too much to ask that the money that is prized out of our hands sensibly? All we want is to be able to get on with our lives without dicing with death on the roads! Luckily I have an office job so I’m able to work from home if absolutely necessary, but it’s not ideal. Sort it out councils – I’ve paid you, so do your damn jobs!

And snow, could you please go away now? Don’t you know when you’re not wanted? Yes, I know there are little people playing in you, but they don’t know any better. You cause havoc and you’re cold and wet. And slippery. Be gone.

OK, rant over. For now.

Are you looking for something to warm you up in this Arctic weather? I can assist, and you don’t even have to leave your seat, let alone the house.

I recently edited an erotic anthology, entitled Uniform Behaviour – Steamy Stories About Men and Women in Uniform. It contains sixteen smutty stories from both new and established writers and is guaranteed to get you hot under the collar, and elsewhere!

Whether you love yourself sailors, soldiers, pilots, police, priests or waiters, there’s something here for you. As well as being written and compiled for your titillation, this anthology is also designed to do good. A portion of the proceeds from Uniform Behaviour will be donated to UK charity Help for Heroes, which helps those wounded in current conflict.

So go on, grab yourself a copy. You’ll be doubly warm, once from reading the stories, once from knowing you’ve donated to a worthy cause.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m just going to look at the cover again. Mmm…

7 comments:

Tess MacKall said...

We don't even need to get me started on taxes, Lucy. That's a subject I could go on and on about. Pay until it hurts and hurts badly is the law here in the States it seems.

Uniform Behaviour sounds oh so yummy. Love my boys in uniform. I don't live far from a military base and enjoy the view on a daily basis. lol I'll have to pick up a copy for sure.

Thanks for guesting with us.

Lucy Felthouse said...

Glad to be here - thanks for having me!

Not far from a military base eh? I know where I'll be staying if I'm ever in your neck of the woods ;)

Emmy Ellis said...

Council tax is one bill I really effing hate paying. It's the only bill that scares me too. Like you said, we can be thrown in jail if we don't pay the bloody thing. But, like you, I get pissed off when they are collecting at LEAST one hundred pounds per month per household, that they can't seem to find the effing money to purchase enough grit for the damn roads.

BUGGGGGGGGGGGG!

I complained of this just the other day to my husband, so your post is timely.

D'you know what ELSE pisses me off? We pay that tax, yet we're expected to pay EXTRA for them to come and collect large items of rubbish. Like ten pounds per item.

WHAT? Don't you get enough council tax from us?

Oh my GOD. I'm getting off here before I explode. This topic seriously bugs the shit out of me.

:o)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy!

What a great post.

Taxes! Argh!

I think the governments could cut a lot of tax money by not funding some fool that is counting how many times a frog's ass hits the ground when he hops. Do we really need to know this?

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to do more drooling over the cover of Uniform Behavior. =) Staring at it helps me forget about taxes.

Hales said...

great article. I hate taxes too. Grrr I can't wait to buy a copy!

Marci Baun said...

We are so lucky not to get snow in Los Angeles. People have a hard enough time driving with a teeny bit of rain, let alone snow. Their idea of "thick" fog is a quarter mile of visibility!

Tax money gets pissed away over here too. The CA legislature is the worst. Rather than balance the budget, they'll take holiday vacation, for which they get paid. And because they can't balance the budget, people have to take unpaid furloughs...while they get paid to do nothing.

Yeah, we aren't fond of our legislature either.

Faith Bicknell said...

Taxes are a sore spot for me too. And as for snow, places in the U.S. have been hammered earlier than normal. We're due for a snowstorm in my state but the weather men refuse to give our area a real forecast because they're not sure what the storm is gonna do.