Friday 26 October 2012

From Military Memoir to Paranormal Romance

Welcome author Lisa Carlisle to Four Strong Women!

Hi, I’m Lisa Carlisle, author of the Underground Encounters series with Ellora’s Cave. For over ten years before I began writing this series, I focused on non-fiction. So I’m here today to compare just one of the many differences between writing these two types of books: memoirs of serving as petite female in the Marine Corps to erotic paranormal romances. Can you think of two more different worlds? So just imagine how different it is to write them. 

Memory versus Imagination

In my memoirs, I had to rely on memory. And if you’ve ever had an argument with someone, you know how people remember things differently! I reconstructed conversations the way I remembered them. To cover my ass, I included an author’s note reading this is the way I remember events and conversations. Luckily, I kept all my letters from that time so I had a number of reference materials to consult when trying to remember what and when something happened. Was it before or after another event? 

In fiction, no worries - I can make it all up! 

Okay, maybe it’s not so easy as that. When creating characters and new worlds, you have to remember the details about them. What do they look like? What’s their background? For instance, in my recent book, I had the heroine’s mom as single in the beginning of the book, but then had a scene at the end where she had remarried. Yikes! When working on a book for months at a time, it helps to keep a character sheet noting details like these. Maybe one day, I’ll use one myself. ;) Okay, I’ve started one. I’m now at the third book in my series so realizing that it’s becoming necessary, especially if characters are going to pop up again later in other books. 

And although you’re making things up in your paranormal world, are they believable? You don’t want something so out there that people will think it’s nonsense. 

Now I’ll tell you about my most recent release. For an erotic vampire novella just in time for Halloween, check out Smoldering Nights, the first in the Underground Encounters series. 

“If you are looking for a short story full of action and passion then pick up and get ready to be hooked on the series.” ~ Sizzling Hot Book Reviews.

Smoldering Nights
Nike loves visiting the goth club Vamps—she can exchange her firefighter uniform for a slinky fantasy outfit. There she runs into the man she’d been admiring from afar at a rock climbing gym. He’s been the star of all her sexual fantasies, so is it any wonder they end up in his private room upstairs? Just when things begin to heat up, Michel’s enemies appear.

Only Michel isn’t an ordinary mortal. And someone from his past is on the hunt for vengeance. Michel and Nike are forced on the run and hide out in a coastal cottage in Maine. They can’t resist their attraction and spend the nights exploring each others’ bodies while trying to sort out how they feel about each other. Can they overcome their differences to be together? And how will they evade the predators who are chasing them? 


About Lisa Carlisle
I’ve loved the vampire myth since I was in third grade and had a crush on Dracula (rivaled only by my eternal love for Darth Vader). Now I have a strange attraction to Severus Snape–apparently I have a thing for dark, brooding guys wearing capes. 
When I was younger, I served in the Marine Corps and backpacked around Europe on my own, which has provided me enough settings and characters for a lifetime of writing. Currently, I live in the Boston area with my fantastic, supportive husband and two kids. I’m very happy to be a multi-published, award-winning author writing in different genres.

Visit my Web site at www.lisacarlislebooks.com 
For more of my writing, check out my non-fiction Web site at www.lisacordeiro.com

Let's connect on 
Pinterest


1 comment:

Barbara Elsborg said...

What a lovely cover for Smoldering Nights!!!! I have a terrible memory and when I'm writing I constantly cock up. The only way I can get things straight is to make notes but more importantly keep rereading so it sinks into my thick skull!!